Sunday 12 January 2014

Prawn Fried Rice - Procrastinating the Yummy Way

It's Sunday night, which means only one thing in my house. Lesson planning. Oh the joy! I am a massive procrastinator. I know it's a problem, I just can't help myself. So, I'm midway through this week's Literacy (story writing, in case you were wondering), and decided dinner was due. "That's not even procrastinating, that's definitely allowed!" I think to myself. So of course I chose something which needed a bit of prep. But it turned out tasty, so now (before I get on with the Maths), I'm here to share!

Prawn Fried Rice

   with butternut squash chips



Makes 2 servings. 

Syn free on Extra Easy

What you need:
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 200g king prawns
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup garden peas
- 1 butternut squash
- Soy sauce

1. Spray a tray with Frylight & put in the oven to heat at 180'C. Peel & cut the squash into chip shapes, place onto the preheated tray & spray with a little more Frylight. These will take about 45 minutes to cook, which will be going on throughout the preparation of the rice.

2. Put the rice in a saucepan of water to boil until fluffy (about 15mins).

3. Meanwhile, dice the onion & red pepper. Keep them separate for now.

4. When the rice is cooked, drain the out the water and place the rice to one side.

5. Spray a frying pan with Frylight. Add the onions and fry until starting to brown.

6. Add the pepper, prawns & peas. Keep moving everything around so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

7. When everything in the frying pan is heated through, add the rice. I added a splash of water at this point, just to stop everything sticking and to help warm the rice back up.

8. Add a glug of soy sauce. Stir everything until all the rice is covered in the sauce. 

9. Serve. Don't forget to take your squash chips out of the oven :)


Lovely. Now - back to work! :(

   - Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment